Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Here are some things in my brain.

I'm gonna start with the positive, so don't don't fret, because laughter will eventually ensue.
I really like Google Docs. I think it kicks some serious hides. I love how I don't really have to talk to anyone. That is great. What is also great is that no one has to really talk to me either. We just simply do our own work, press the "share" button, or whatever it's called, and into the abyss it goes. Wonderful idea, and it's actually something useful. Stress and communication free group work. No scheduling times to meet, no driving, simply amazing. I am also rather fond of the little link that shows you how to use software I've had for years and still cant figure out. Excel come to mind. But now instead of Mr. Paperclip pretending he's gonna help me, I can just go and get what I need to know. Cool.
OK, this is what else is on the brain. I don't think I can honestly stand anymore acronyms, or stupid made-up words like dweezil, doodah, tweener, nooogle, boooglem, gedangah, and you get the idea. Imagine talking like this when you were a kid. People would tell you to stop blabbing gibberish. (gibberish is an awesome, "real" word you know) I just want to point out that spellcheck is OK with the word "doodah." Weird. Times are changing.
I also am having trouble keeping track of all these made-up word accounts. I don't like to have to "sign in" every time I go to a site. It's really annoying. I have to use the mouse, and then switch to typing, and back and forth the whole time I'm interneting. I think it's cool that google (I refuse to capitalize this made up word) somehow knows when you log into gmail, and remembers that you have already logged in, so you don't have to keep doing it a million times as long as you're on a google owned site, or whatever it is.
Someone should respond. It's getting lonely out here in the abyss.

3 comments:

  1. Your comments gave me a good chuckle this morning. Since taking this class, I try to imagine what my grandparents would have thought about all these words. They would have probably thought the world was coming to an academic end. Another comment about tech, and which was very annoying. I went to a Pearl Jam concert on Saturday. I don't get to concerts much anymore as I have three kids and simply don't have enough time in the day. Well, during the ENTIRE concert, everyone around us was texting (clearly texting is not a verb yet) and I watched most of the people looking at their screens on there hand helds, itouches (another non word), etc. I was in awe, and more respectfully, we had good seats, so Eddie Vedder was close enough to see heads down, not up. Disrespectful, yes. Annoying, yes. And, clearly, distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your commentary, Frogcandy and nfwillcox. I do like the freedom that I now feel to make up my own words and acronyms that the tech world seems to have made an everyday occurrence. My college roommates and I were using weird acronyms 20 something years ago.

    I did like the project we did with google docs, too. It was one of the most painless group projects I've ever done.

    I also am having a problem keeping up with all my different accounts and passwords and so on. I've been able to get back into my blog account, but now I can't seem to access my igoogle account! Yikes!

    (About the concert - my husband and I went to a couple of concerts last year and we were sitting right next to each other texting each other because we couldn't hear each other over the music. We only texted during the warm up bands though.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all - you are HILARIOUS. I agree, the names of these applications are a little strange. But apparently we're running out of words in the English language - Now everything needs to be made up! And just to warn you - it's only going to get worse as time goes on and more "things" are invented.

    I'm a huge fan of technology. And I agree that Google docs is pretty awesome. I love that you don't have to talk to people, too! Especially when dealing with difficult group members. But one of my concerns with technology is that it is making people TOO unsocial. I think it's sad that my family members think email is just as effective as a phone call or seeing me in person. Just pick up the phone for goodness sake! (And use that phone to make a phone call - not for texting!)

    ReplyDelete